Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Old versus New

It is that time of the year again. Weddings! Weddings! Everywhere also weddings! It is such a joyous occasion. Come this December, I will be attending my niece's engagement ceremony and then most probably this time again next year will be the wedding day.


Try rummaging through your old wedding photos. Have you noticed that most of the time you didn't even smile? or maybe it is only me? then compare them to the newer photos of maybe your daughter's or son's wedding ? or maybe of your younger siblings? Nowadays, the package comes with storybook, photos taken at various sites of beautiful gardens, buildings and so on. The newly -weds in their wedding gear, all smiling with different poses.

 The bride-to-be even get to plan her own wedding from the colour theme to the "pelamin" and even right up to the gifts (hantaran) she wants. The bliss of it all!!

The thing I wanted to stress here is that during my wedding time, my late grandmother gave me this piece of advice - don't smile, you can smile a little bit but not too much, you mustn't show that you are happy, in fact too happy or else people particularly the elders would think that you are very, very eager to get married. In other words, they would say that "gatal sangat nak berlaki" (sorry, can't find the right words in english) So there I was, trying so hard not to smile a lot, just a little bit here and there! curi-curi gitu... I only got to know of my wedding dress on the day of the wedding itself!

To all those newly-weds out there, all the best and happiness always!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails