Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Future is NOW

This morning, I watched "Witness" in the Aljazeera channel. It was about the lives of the people in Cuba. It dawned on me that the Cubans are such strong and resilient people even in the face of hardship.
When they were asked about their futures, one man answered " Do you mean next week? Sorry! We don't think too far ahead, our future is the next minute and then the next.."
Suddenly, it struck me that the future is NOW! Not tomorrow and definitely not next week or next year. It should be the next minute and so on. We should not be putting off things and procrastinate. I am always guilty of those. I think we should remind ourselves that we might not be alive in the next few minutes or maybe by next week, who knows we could be dead by then!
I don't have much in this world. My worldly possessions are my children. My most prized possessions. Afterall, what I have today comes from my other half. If it could be written in my will, I would want them to have what I have written in this blog. I want them to always think of the next minute and always be on their feet. I want them to be strong people, respect the elders and not to expect things to be handed to them so easily. I want them to struggle hard for their living. I  also want them to always remember that God is forever watching their actions!!!
I was only channel-surfing when I came across the "Witness" programme. But then it started the ball rolling and have me thinking that the hardship of others can help us think about what we have and never appreciate (at times).

3 comments:

  1. i tend to look at the future on a larger scale as well...forgetting whether i'll still be alive in the next minute. Still sad over the demise of a university mate, died last week, 2 days before her birthday...breast cancer...she even wrote a book on that and she had an interesting blog, should read it... http://onebreastbouncing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry! Al-Fatihah. will look up the blog.
    Did you go for the mammogram in USM? I've had mine done twice already in the recent years. Alhamdulillah, okay. also did the pap smear years ago n need to have one done soon. It is the pap smear that i dread of....bukan apa..malu sebenarnya, dah lama xde anak..then kena org tgk lagi..Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i went for a mammogram at Perdana, had a lump actually but thank God it's benign... nevertheless i still can't be rest assured so i already have an appointment in USM. Pap smear...did it once a long, long time ago, of course the result is not applicable anymore...and MALU is another reason...but you can always ask your other half to do it for you, can't u? hehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails