Monday, September 20, 2010

Hari Raya

Towards the end of Ramadhan, I was lamenting to myself that I just don't have
the feel for Hari Raya. Never mind! Maybe I am getting older so the expectations
and the feel for it has somewhat been lost along the way. I was busy getting ready
for new stuff for the children and guess what....none for myself.

The day came for the long car trip back to my husband's "kampung".
It was a seven hour ride with stops only for petrol. Even my daughter's hamster,
Chum-Chum, came along in a brand new travel-cage. The back of our trusted
old Unser was filled up to the seams. The cookies were packed in a box,
treated as precious as gold.

Every few half an hour or so, my youngest daughter kept popping up
the irritating question - "Where are we now? and then " How many
more minutes till we reached Atuk's house?" Grrr..... I could almost
feel the hot air coming out of my ears but then reminding myself that
I was still fasting, God must have helped me to remain cool.

Arriving at around 3pm, my mother in law and the rest of the family
were already in the kitchen, preparing food to be distributed  later to
the neighbours and relatives. Here, the "adat" or culture of exchanging
food and goodies is top priority!!

The Hari Raya came! I was surprised that I was on high mode.
The feeling of happiness with a tinge of sadness remembering my loved
ones and  relatives back in Sarawak was ready to make me burst in tears.
I was ecstatic. The family around me make me realise that Hari Raya is
a joyous occasion no matter how old you are. 
It's the family atmosphere that counts. The time of asking forgiveness from
the ones whom we may have wronged was really humbling. Yeah right!
And don't forget the food! Lemang  eaten with rendang is still my number one favourite!!!

Going visiting with the rest of the family is a must! I like this the best.
We get to reconnect with relatives and friends that we don't get to see
during the rest of the year. The children enjoyed this the most since
they get to receive 'Raya monies'.

Well! I can say that this Raya is the best ever!
I have my share of fun and make me realise that
I have gotten through the fasting month as faithfully as I can.
Alhamdulillah!
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails