Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bottled grief

Read an article in 'The Star' about a book entitled 'The letter in the Bottle' by Karen Liebreich.

When our children are young, we can get lost in all the everyday chaos. The house is full of toys and laundry and stuff from school, and in the boredom of the domestic routine we forget how precious they are.

In 2002, a French woman threw a bundle of clothes, lilies and a bottle in the shape of a teardrop into the sea. The clothes belonged to her son who had died at the age of 13 and inside the bottle was a letter to the boy "that no wind...no storm...not even death could ever destroy"

She wrote " Forgive me for being so angry at your disappearance. I still think there's been some mistake, and I keep waiting for God to fix it. Forgive me for not having known how to protect you from death. Forgive me for not having been able to find the words at that terrible moment when you slipped through my fingers..."
After that, she went home to get on with her life. It never occurred to her that anyone would find the bottle. She thought that it would smash in the waves and the glass fragments and paper would gently disperse through the oceans. It was her way of talking to God.

Someone did find the bottle! And so begin the search for the letter-writer......

So how did her son died? Where is the mother now?

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Get my handkerchief ready, too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails